Thursday, August 09, 2007

"500 Over 140.6" Honor Roll is HERE!

Today is exactly one month from my second attempt at an Ironman and I am asking you for help. Will you give me permission to race in honor of the people you know touched by cancer? Here's my request: provide to me the names of those you know who are fighting cancer, any form of cancer, or has lost their struggle. I will carry the names with me for the entire 140.6 miles of Ironman Wisconsin on September 9. It is for them, for their honor, that I will toe the starting line.

For this Ironman I am launching the first "500 Over 140.6" Ironman Honor Roll. My goal is to carry at least 500 names of cancer fighters, survivors, and souls over the entire Ironman Wisconsin course.
The über-cool guy and web expert, Ben, at BuckeyeOutdoors.com made the "500 Over 140.6" Honoree Counter in the sidebar to the right and below my profile photo. To submit a name, or names (submit as many as you like) simply fill in he blanks and click "Add them to the Honor Roll." All of the information will be kept confidential and not shared with anyone.
I'm not asking for a donation or sponsorship in connection with the campaign. The only request is that, if possible, you tell the honoree or their family what I will attempt to do on September 9, 2007. Let them know I'm doing this in their honor. It's my humble and small attempt to bring encouragement to all of those affected by these life robbing diseases.
As an athlete I have a responsibility to use my good health to serve others without the prospect of personal gain. However, if I meet the goal of 500, 1000, or more names I will certainly gain a huge boost in motivation to complete the Ironman despite my body's inevitable protests.
BoomerNation, allow me this honor and privilege to race for the people you know. By doing this, a part of you , and your honoree, will be with me for every stroke, turn of the crank, and stride of Ironman Wisconsin.
These names will define why I train for Ironman.
So, let's get to work. We only have thirty days until I, and hopefully 500+ names, wade into the challenging waters of Madison... together.
Stay tuned...
Oh yes... standby for news on how you can become a "500 Over 140.6" Ambassador.

13 comments:

Carrie said...

Thanks Boomer- I added my uncle to your list who is at the start of his fight. Bring it home!

Born To Endure said...

We all should make an effort to do this Ironman racing for others who can't...thanks for the kind reminder Triboomer!

Spandex King said...

God Bless you on your journey.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

What am I missing? I have 2 aunts and an uncle who have lost their battle that I would be honored to add to your list, but I see no counter in your sidebar (on my screen the graphic is a RaceAthlete logo). Is it a browser issue?

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

... about that Ambassador application... when is it up?
Thank you so much for once again carrying John's name on your Ironman journey.
xoxoxo
Jenny

momo said...

thanks boomer, for letting us and our loved ones be part of your journey. you will rock that day, there is no doubt.

Kim said...

love ya boom!

Papa Louie said...

Kudos to you for pursuing a great cause. God bless you in all your endeavors.

Unknown said...

Boomer, you really do rock!

I added one name today. Can I add another tomorrow?

M said...

Hi! Thanks for checking in with me, I am so excited to have worked my way back to your site! I would like to add my dad to your list - he died of cancer about three years ago, after a breid but painful fight with lung cancer. It's super cool what you are doing. I look forward to following your efforts!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Thanks for doing this as a way to spread the love. Just don't wear the speedo, ok??? :-)

Tri-Dummy said...

Just added my grandmother and uncle. Thanks for doing this, brother. See you on the course somewhere.

C. P. said...

Another addition to your list. Good Luck in Madison!